[Coco] Coco-3 power and MPI questions

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 17:13:45 EDT 2014

From what I understand, the reason to use slot #1 for the disk controller was "distance" and "timing". IIRC, the disk controller would "sometimes not work properly in any other slot due to critical timing required and the time it took the data to travel from point A to point B. Slot #1 is the first bus on the MPI therefore giving the controller the fastest bus speeds. It's the same reason that they suggest not to make y-cables over a certain length. Also it seems I remember seeing somewhere to put the disk controller first even on a y-cable (same reasons).
It seems like I read this in a Marty Goodman article in Rainbow somewhere... or as an answer to a question in his question/answer column.
I may be wrong, but that's the reason that seemes to come to mind when I saw the post.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com