[Coco] CocoSDC disk format

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 21:53:33 EST 2014

Hi Gene,

I will repeat: I am not using HDBDOS.

I am using the CocoSDC ROM that's built into the CocoSDC. It treats the
disk as a single-sided floppy, and hence (as with all Coco OS-9
single-sided boot disks), when I type DOS, it seeks to track 35 sector
1, which is sector offset $0264 of the disk.

The offset into the HDBDOS ROM is meaningless with respect to the
CocoSDC ROM. A value of $DF3A62 is way out of bounds for the disk image.

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia

On 1/12/2014 12:42 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 30 November 2014 15:28:47 Bob Devries did opine
> And Gene did reply:
>> On 1/12/2014 12:34 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>> If you do make an os9 boot disk using the defaults, I have no clue
>>> where it would put the boottrack since its being treated as a hard
>>> drive. In that event, what is the stp doing? Something like our /sh
>>> does?  Which if set correctly is used as the index into which vdisk
>>> hdbdos would access.
>>
>> Currently the boot track is placed at offset $0264 sectors by the
>> NitrOS9 build. This is correct for a single-sided disk. It boots
>> correctly. All attempts by me so far to build a new boot track have
>> failed. Also a new OS9Boot file appears to be ignored. This part I
>> cannot understand.
>>
>>> Does it still put the boottrack starting at sector 612 decimal? ded
>>> can answer that.
>>
>> Yes.
>
> That might be the problem because that is likely NOT the LSN address that
> is in the $D939-3A-3B (I think thats the right address but dbl-check the
> hdbdos docs on that, and write an rsbasic script that pokes those
> addresses with $00, $02,$64 and see if it at least tries to boot.
>
> Also, take ded to that disk and check to see if the sector address for
> os9boot and its size are properly stored in  DD.BT and DD.Bsz.
>
> Gotta be a disconnect there someplace Bob.
>>
>>> I think we have a learning event here folks.  Perhaps format it in
>>> 500 megabyte chunks for nitros9, then a whole series of "hdbdos"
>>> partitions? Generating a whole series of sdch, sdci etc partitions,
>>> each of which could have the proper wpc amd ofs settings and using
>>> the individual vdisks by setting the stp value as we do now?
>>> Interesting possibilities here. Like taking the drv number back to
>>> zero in sdc1, and setting the offsets to start at the end of drive
>>> 0. Using the defaults I see above, that would put a wpc=3 and an
>>> ofs=F800 based on the sdc0 settings giving 0x3F800 sectors, or