[Coco] CocoSDC disk format

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Nov 30 21:51:23 EST 2014

On Sunday 30 November 2014 16:28:55 Robert Gault did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Bob Devries wrote:
> ><snip>
> >
> > Currently the boot track is placed at offset $0264 sectors by the
> > NitrOS9 build. This is correct for a single-sided disk. It boots
> > correctly. All attempts by me so far to build a new boot track have
> > failed. Also a new OS9Boot file appears to be ignored. This part I
> > cannot understand.
>
> How are you trying to build the new boot track? How did you build new
> OS9Boot files? If you are merging modules to create new OS9Boot files,
> you need to use ded to alter LSN0 so that bytes $15-$17 point to the
> first byte of the file and bytes $18-$19 indicate the size of the
> file.
> Dir -e will give you the size of your new OS9Boot files but you can't
> use the location given by dir. You must use ded to go to the sector
> given by dir, find the actual start address, and check to see that the
> boot file is not fragmented.
>
> Robert

This thing uses rbsuper, so its descriptor bits are used differently from
a floppy.  What happens if we set the bits that tells format its a hard
drive for one, and that it is not to query the sd card for its capacity,
but set it for about 500 megabytes in the descriptor, format that first
500 megs, then run the mb version for a hard drive?  That may not work the
first time, but as an experiment, it would have to be educational.

Silly Q, is there an mpi slot number hidden in the descriptors that
superdesc makes.  I have one of these, but the front slot, slot $00, is
the only one open, and I haven't noted any discussions re that here on
this list.

Or does it not care if the MPI is jumpered at all sockets pin 8's?

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)