[Coco] CocoSDC disk format

Bob Devries devries.bob at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 03:05:29 EST 2014

Hi All,

I have a question regarding the disk format used by the CocoSDC.
More correctly, the format used by the NitrOS9 build.

The format command used in the makefile sets the tracks to 1024, but
leaves all else alone. Thus, the format is 1024 tracks, 1 side, 18
sectors per track.

The device descriptors /DD, /SD0 and /SD1 all have tracks set to 255,
and sides set to 64, with 32 sectors per track. I'm referring here to
the disk image produced as nos96309l2v030300coco3_cocosdc.dsk

Now, there no problem with this in normal usage, but when I try to
create a new OS9Boot file, and specifically a new boot track, it fails
miserably; I cannot boot from the resultant disk image.

Is there a technical reason for this apparent discrepancy? If not, can
the descriptor and the format command in the build be made the same?

Regards, Bob Devries
Dalby, QLD, Australia