[Coco] Last video I promise... :)

Richard Goedeken Richard at fascinationsoftware.com
Fri Nov 28 20:02:52 EST 2014

Hi Luis,

Thank you so much for designing the awesome video converter and making all the
plans available.  I built one up yesterday and hooked it up to my Coco 3, and
it works, but there is some noise in the video output and the colors are not
exactly right.  Can you help me get it working?

I uploaded a video which shows the problems very well.  It's raw mpeg2ts
(AVCHD) at 1080i 60hz from my video camera; the file is about 131MB.  I didn't
want to upload it to youtube which would crush the resolution and frame rate.
 You should be able to view it with VLC or mplayer or similar:

http://www.fascinationsoftware.com/media/Coco3-RGBVGA.mts

In the video, I turn the 10k potentiometer up and down to show how it affects
the colors.  You can see that there are some rolling bands of noise in the
brightness values of the pixels.  And many of the colors seem to be the same
shade.

The test screen output (when the Coco is turned off) is perfect, so the
problem is with the input section.  I wasn't sure exactly which build of your
FPGA code I should use.  And I've never used FPGA tools before, so there was a
little bit of a learning curve in installing the tools and using them.  But I
ended up with the latest git clone from the github repo (as of yesterday), and
I used the Quartus programmer tool to write the output_file.jic into the
serial eeprom loader memory.  Should I have used a different version?  Do I
need to compile the fpga code?  It looks from your repo that you update the
SOF and JIC files with every commit, so I assume that means I don't need to
compile the project if I don't make any of my own changes.

Any ways, thanks again for this great product, and I hope I can get it working
here.

Richard