[Coco] Preliminary Support for SDC in HDBDOS

William Astle lost at l-w.ca
Tue Nov 25 21:22:13 EST 2014

On 14-11-25 04:17 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
> There's not a lot, but there's definitely some, and it's often frequently
> used stuff like word processors.
>
> The worst situation I ever ran into with Extended ADOS-3 compatibility was
> a word processor (Word Power 3.x) that put its STACK in that upper 8K
> area.  Never could come up with a compatibility fix for that one.  The
> author promised to move the stack elsewhere in a later version, but never
> did.

I can't think of any way around that either. Presumably the stack and
other data was moved to high memory to maximize the contiguous logical
RAM available for buffers or something like that. Otherwise, it makes no
sense to do so.

Still, any time you make your code space larger, there's a chance you
run into something that fails miserably due to a conflict like that.

Keeping the I and F flags unchanged after the swap and call process is
not really all that pleasant if the routines being called might use
other flag states to return information. If they are forbidden to do
that, it's not so bad since you can just save CC on the way in and
restore it on the way out.