[Coco] Getting started with SDC & Coco I/64K

Salvador Garcia ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net
Sat Nov 22 13:11:32 EST 2014

I received my Coco SDC and have assembled it. Very nice!

I will be traveling soon to the location where my Coco I (64K) is stored and awaiting to be revived.

I am looking forward towards testing the CocoSDC and will post followups here.

I have a few questions.

1. The SDC docs mention a possible alteration to the Coco I motherboard (rev E I think). Is this necessary for normal operation? I got the gist that this was only necessary if I wanted to program the SDC's firmware.

2.Since I have not used my CoCo in a loooong time, I am not certain how to proceed with the SDC. I understand that I can download DSK images and save them to the SD card whose only restriction is that I use 8.3 file names. I then follow the indication in the SDC docs to mount those files as images of floppy drives. My question here is: What software do you recommend that I start with? Yes, I would love to get to NitrOS 9, but (1) I am not there yet and (2) Not sure if it will run well (or at all) on my 64K Coco I. For now I just want to take the SDC for a test ride and begin becoming familiar with this product.

Since I don't have a physical CoCo here I was thinking of leaving the SDC card at the remote location, but I like how it looks so much that I'll probably bring it back with me and use it as a center piece at my desk :-) It is only lacking the case that Tim designed, but unfortunately y budget did not go that far. Salvador