[Coco] 1 or 2 meg upgrade

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Sat Nov 22 08:27:22 EST 2014

Aaron, when you put it that way, then you need to go back to the beginning.
1. 512k? Who needs more than 64k. The 6809 can't access any more.
2. Disk drives? What was wrong with cassettes? It what the machine was originally designed for.
3. CM-8 (RGB) monitor? The Coco was supposed to be RS's answer to an affordable home computer one could plug into the family TV... not a $400 monitor.
4. Hard Drives? What are you gonna put on that much space anyway? 7000 PModes of Farrah Faucet? Go back to #2
5. DW4? Whos gonna use more than 1x 158k SSDD drive, but wait, go back to #2 again
6. 80 column screen? What was wrong with the 32x16 screen? TSEdit worked fine.
7. 640x192 graphics? Zaxxon ran fine on 256x192. Who needs it?
8. Printers? What's wrong with reading the screen? Ya gonna try reading your computer in bed or something?
9. AT/XT/PS2 keyboard interface? What you gonna do with all those extra keys anyway?
10. More, more, and more....

There were those that felt this way on every single addition that was made to the Coco. I know of many who thought the Coco 3 was overkill and never purchased one. We have a few right here on the list that ONLY work with Coco 2s.
It all comes down to what YOU want in your Coco... not what you think others should/should not have in their Coco.
Personally, I'll have 1-2meg, Eagle Keyboard, CM-8, HDs/VHDs, DW4, MIDI, Internet Access, and while you're at it... Put some bacon on that with a little mustard. Mmmm... bacon....

:-P

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia