[Coco] CocoSDC booting OS9

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 18 21:12:38 EST 2014

On Tuesday 18 November 2014 11:14:04 Brett Gordon did opine
And Gene did reply:
> See inlines, below
>
> On Tue, Nov 18, 2014 at 9:49 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco
>
> <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:
> > I run all my systems (real and emuled) the way Robert describes. Even
> > my starter kits are set up this way (I modded the roms with the
> > offset).
> >
> >  I have been complaining for almost 4 years now that a 2nd set of
> >  hdbdos roms needs to be generated with the ofset at $5A000 and got
> >  nothing but flack. Now it's slowly coming back on everyone :-)
>
> Cool... its nice to know there is some sort of standard HDB offset.
>
> > Even the stock Vcc 1.4.2 and it's accompanying vhd (which needs to be
> > updated to NOS9 v3.3.0) is set like this. This is s atandard set by
> > Alan deKok when he developed the emudsk driver for the Coco
> > emulators. SuperIDE uses a different offset, and needs to be sat
> > different. It's the only odd case I know of.
>
> I have a SuperIDE, and with the development of CoCoBoot, I know I have
> it set to stock, and have set it a million times to:  0x52ddc .  This
> seems to be another more-or-less standard.  Of course to modernize the
> two systems,  Disks should probably have a actual on-disk (meta)
> partition table... PC's have had partition tables for 40 years... why
> don't we?

We do, but it isn't on the drive, its in the drive descriptor as wpc and
ofs, signifying the starting address in LBA sectors as a 3 byte value.

There IS empty space in LSN0 to do that, but to use it would take a major
rewrite of the rest of the nitros9 system.  The descriptor works well.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)