[Coco] MShell Update - Even Newer Version

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 16:00:55 EST 2014

Nick, I am posting my reply on the list for anyone else trying the same thing...
 I got your disk and your problem perplexed me for a few minutes. After sticking the disk in drive 0 of Vcc and booting up, i type mshell& (use the &, you'll understand later), and.....
It hung up on the title.
I view the bootfile.... all is in place... (no dw4 of course)
I dir the cmds and all the mshell files are there...
I try again, same result.
I copy those files from my install disk to my vhd, reboot to my boot, run mshell all works fine. Not an mshell problem...
Then I try a small fix that I thought may help in one startup file went to save it to your disk.....
"DISK FULL"

The mshell docs clearly state there is probably not enough room on a floppy to run MShell. The reason being MShell (at any time) writes small to very large temp files to the drive in it's normal operation. There has to be room on the drive for these files.
After deleting the "NITROS9" dir to make some room... it still would not boot.
Then I did
dir /dd/cmds -e
This shows detailed info of files in the dir...
it shows that "Ms1V" & "Ms1U" both have a file size of 0
The disk ran out of space while you were copying the files (you should have see an error)
Floopy disks just do not have room enough to do major work in OS9, it's the whole reason there were at least 10-15 companies (successfully) making HDs for Coco & OS9 in the 80s

to get this running on THAT disk... do this:
deldir nitros9    (d<enter> after each prompt) (this dir is for making boot files so it's no good for you :-P
del /dd/cmds/ms1u
del /dd/cmds/ms1v
del /dd/cmds/ms1.init    (this is probably corrupted too)

now put the mshell install disk in /d1
copy /d1/cmds/ms1u /dd/cmds/ms1u
copy /d1/cmds/ms1v /dd/cmds/ms1v

Now
mshell&    (use the &, it releases the original window so you can use it for other things, use <clear> to bounce windows)

I think you'll find it runs fine
MShell was designed to run on HD/VHD. Floppies just don't have enough room for doing much
We had a lot of tricks to make it work in the 80s, but those days are gone and DW4 is here.... "we've come a long way baby"

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com