[Coco] CocoSDC booting OS9

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 17 17:34:03 EST 2014

Bob:

BASIC can only access so much drive (much less than OS9).  I think the
SDC docs explain some of the assumptions SDC DOS makes about Large
Disks.  The DOS command ALWAYS loads the Boottrack from logical Drive
0, Track 34, sectors 1-19.  Once the second stage is loaded (BOOT and
REL, and those fellows)  the entire disk is available.   Its a minor
problem very similar to Linux's LILO Bootloader had: BIOS limited the
kernel file to the first 1024 Cylinders.  But after the kernel was
loaded really big disks where accessible.   I'm assuming the OS9GEN or
COBBLER take care of making sure the boottrack is where its supposed
to be at (and marks those sectors as used in OS9 )

Shameless plug:
Try my boot-trackless booting:
http://sites.google.com/site/cocoboot2.  Any Nitros9 compiled from
source in the last couple weeks supports it.