[Coco] This is....is....is....

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Mon Nov 17 15:55:32 EST 2014

On 18/11/2014 6:17 AM, Bill Loguidice wrote:
> That seems to be the going rate for such things for whatever reason.
> Transwarps on the Apple side go for at least that, and often more (though
> there are efforts underway to finally create a modern recreation), and
> getting a good Amiga 1200 trapdoor accelerator (albeit with lots of extra
> RAM), costs even a bit more. I don't see much use on the C-64 side for
> something like that, but the Amiga one in particular is incredibly useful,
> allowing all kinds of extra features with stuff that already exists. I
> suspect that if something were possible on the CoCo, it would work more
> like a Transwarp does and just do general acceleration and nothing else.

Problem with the CoCo3 is that even if you have a 100Ghz CPU, the GIME
will only run at the speed it was designed and all memory accesses to
the RAM are at the standard CoCo3 speed. The GIME is central to the
CoCo3. It provides the clock to the 6809 and basically ties the whole
system to its demands.

All you could do is have the 68008 run at a higher speed when accessing
it's own non-GIME accessible RAM but it needs to slow down to access
GIME RAM and all the CoCo3 I/O.

Still, being able to run OS 68K would be cool and even if the speedup
was only 2/3 times the current speed, that would still be a big boost
for the CoCo.

Nick