[Coco] DWTCPDevice cannot be cast to DWSerialDevice

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 17 12:19:09 EST 2014

On Monday 17 November 2014 11:51:22 Aaron Wolfe did opine
And Gene did reply:
> On Nov 17, 2014 11:03 AM, "Gene Heskett" <gheskett at wdtv.com> wrote:
> > I wasn't aware that could be done from a terminal on the coco3, but
> > there I get this:
> > {t2|08}/DD:dw se st
>
> > DriveWire version 4.3.3o (06/21/2013) status:
> There are many, many useful DW commands that can be entered at the os9
> command prompt :). In fact, you can do everything possible in the GUI
> right from there.  I always wanted DW to be controlled from the coco
> side.  The GUI that runs on a PC was a reluctant late addition.
>
> > And regardless of whether I try to start a shell on an /n or on a /z
> > descriptor, the error log on the server says: (and the numbers do not
> > change)
> >
> > DWVPorthand dwproto-0-10 Unknown API command:'{N1|03/DD:Error #216 -
> > Path Name Not Found'
>
> This seems to be an os9 shell prompt being sent to the DW server as a
> command.  Obviously not what we want.  The channel needs to be in a
> mode that passes data before this data is sent.  What we have now is
> sort of like doing an xmodem upload while your modem is in AT command
> mode.. The DW device isn't "off hook" so its interpreting the data as
> a command.  I'll have to look at why this is.. Are you doing an iniz
> on the /Z device before sending it s shell?  That might be what puts
> the device into the correct mode, its been a long time.

No I am not, not its easy enough to test:
No results for .z1
results for /n1 after inizing /n are an error a second from the server,
and my terminal is locked up, so I'll have to go reboot the coco.  And no
screen here.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)