[Coco] DWTCPDevice cannot be cast to DWSerialDevice

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon Nov 17 11:03:03 EST 2014

On Monday 17 November 2014 10:26:15 Bill Pierce via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> You can also get the version by typing "dw se st" (dw server status) in
> either the dw4 console cmd line (bottom of the gui) or from OS9 cmd
> line on the Coco (dw must be in /dd/cmds)
>

> Bill Pierce
> "Today is a good day... I woke up" - Ritchie Havens

I wasn't aware that could be done from a terminal on the coco3, but there
I get this:
{t2|08}/DD:dw se st
DriveWire version 4.3.3o (06/21/2013) status:

Total memory:  63360 KB
Free memory:   27047 KB

Now, to Aaron:

I just found the error log in drivewire.
And regardless of whether I try to start a shell on an /n or on a /z
descriptor, the error log on the server says: (and the numbers do not
change)

DWVPorthand dwproto-0-10 Unknown API command:'{N1|03/DD:Error #216 - Path
Name Not Found'

A dump of the descriptor show the drivername and filemanager, and both are
in memory as they are part of the OS9Boot file.  A dump of z1.dd:
Address   0 1  2 3  4 5  6 7  8 9  A B  C D  E F  0 2 4 6 8 A C E
-------- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ---- ----  ----------------
00000000 87CD 003B 002E F187 D600 3000 3343 07FF  .M.;..q.V.0.3C..
00000010 111C 0000 0100 0101 0000 1808 180D 1B04  ................
00000020 0117 0305 0807 0002 002E 0000 5018 5AB1  ............P.Z1
00000030 5343 C673 6364 77F6 7ED7 7B              SCFscdwv~W{

and mdir  shows:
{t2|08}/DD:mdir

   Module Directory at 11:15:01
REL         Boot        Krn         KrnP2       KrnP3       KrnP4
IOMan       Init        RBF         rbdw        dwio        X0
X1          RBSuper     lltc3       DD          S1          SH
rb1773      D0          D1          D2          SCF         VTIO
KeyDrv      SndDrv      JoyDrv      CoGrf       sc6551      Term
W           W1          W2          W3          W4          W7
scdwv       N           N1          N2          N3          Z1
Z2          Z3          t2          scdwp       p           PipeMan
Piper       Pipe        Clock       Clock2      GrfDrv      Shell
Date        DeIniz      Echo        Iniz        Link        Load
Save        Unlink      MDir

So scdwv is in memory, so whats the Error #216 that the server logs really
telling me?

Thanks a bunch for clues.  If it means anything, this nvidia video card on
this machine is being driven by the nouveau driver.

> Co-Webmaster of The TRS-80 Color Computer Archive
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
> E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)