[Coco] printing

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sun Nov 16 18:42:57 EST 2014

On Sunday 16 November 2014 16:54:19 Josh Harper via Coco did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I need somethingآ  that doesn'tآ  use os9آ thoآ آ

Is this more yahoo mail?  It comes in here as a base64 encoded message,
without a mimetype being set anywhere in the headers.  yahoo mail is
busted.

Anyway, before drivewire, I did have some scripts that did work on this
linux machine.  It consisted of a call to set the serial port for 9600n1,
and listened on it, when a byte was first received from sending a file to
the bitbanger, it would open a file with precision time date appended to
the filename, wait for 5 seconds after the last byte came in, close the
file and send it to "lp -BROTHEHL2140 filename".

That worked well except I had to remember to set the bitbanger to the
correct speed as the default settings when a 6309 is in the socket gave
about 11,300 baud, well outside the capture range for the usb-serial
converters in the path.  And it was noticeably slower because the
bitbanger was running at 10% of the speed drivewire runs it at.

I just checked the usual suspects for that script but its apparently, if
it still exists, on the drive I used to run pclos from. But I believe that
now has a copy of ubuntu 12.04 LTS on it, if so, those scripts are gone.

They weren't that hard to write IIRC.  Bash is a very capable shell, and a
printout of its manual will have about all the answers you need to write
your own.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)