[Coco] Someone's next hardware project: WiFi

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 15 06:49:29 EST 2014

On Saturday 15 November 2014 03:26:19 Kip Koon did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi Tim!
> This is very interesting!  I'll have to buy me one and see what
> happens!
>
> Kip Koon
> computerdoc at sc.rr.com
> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon

The thought instantly came to mind that for those of us who bought Rogers
rs232 pack with an A7 bluetooth kit in it, and which did not deliver on
the range needed to make it practical at the Heskett homestead, this and a
3.3V regulator could drop into that kit in place of the A7 module!

That leaves the question of what security model does it use?  I'd have to
get back into my router and make it compatible, but if its WEP or WEP2,
that is essentially "in the clear" as a drive by hacker can hook up to
that in <5 seconds.  I did have the radio enabled out in my shop so I
didn't have to string a cable to the lappy when I was using it as a
terminal into one of the cnc machines, and thought I had a pretty secure
setup using WPA2/WPSK.  But one of the neighbors (being higher than the
house and wood walls, I could hear about 20 other signals on any given
day) managed to get thru it and was burning up about 100 megs a day
because I had that radio bridged so I had access thru it, to the wired
net, and thru that to the internet, so I went back to a cat5 cable thats
always in the way and turned that radio off.

I think it would certainly be worth a try.  A second question though, and
one which will need solving, Rogers pack has a top speed of 9600 baud,
which for an 802-11 circuit, is just interference, wwwwwwaaaaayyyyy
ttttoooooooo ssslllooooooowwwwww.  If the clock divider is turned off in
that sc6551, what is the top speed of that sc6551 uart?  The descriptor
can I believe, do that, but its not that well documented, at least in the
current defs/l51.defs defsfile.  Is anyone's memory on this any clearer
than mine?

Here is what I find in that file, which may not be enough.

         org   0
DataReg  rmb   1          receive/transmit data
StatReg  rmb   1          IRQ/DSR/DCD/error status (read only)
PRstReg  equ   StatReg    programmed reset (write only)
CmdReg   rmb   1          command (parity/echo/Tx IRQ/Rx IRQ/DTR)
CtrlReg  rmb   1          control (stop bits/word length/Rx clock/baud
rate)

Ctl.RClk equ   %00010000  Rx clock source (0=external, 1=internal)

         org   0
BR.ExClk rmb   1          16x external clock
BR.00050 rmb   1          50 baud
BR.00075 rmb   1          75 baud
BR.00110 rmb   1          109.92 baud
BR.00135 rmb   1          134.58 baud
BR.00150 rmb   1          150 baud
BR.00300 rmb   1          300 baud
BR.00600 rmb   1          600 baud
BR.01200 rmb   1          1200 baud
BR.01800 rmb   1          1800 baud
BR.02400 rmb   1          2400 baud
BR.03600 rmb   1          3600 baud
BR.04800 rmb   1          4800 baud
BR.07200 rmb   1          7200 baud
BR.09600 rmb   1          9600 baud
BR.19200 rmb   1          19200 baud

Clear as mud, right?  Potential rx clock control, but tx isn't listed.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)