[Coco] OS-9 observations...

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 13 15:21:00 EST 2014

Frank, you nailed it. They are my conclusions precisely.

What we need is an OS-9 Level 3 (or 4) that addresses the problems of
Level 2 and has a new focus towards applications and better use of
available RAM rather than embedded controllers.

How many CoCo users use a 6809 based embedded controller nowadays anyway?

The "new boot per application" is a very restrictive methodoligy which
again, suited the embedded controller environment.

I'm not critisizing OS-9, I believe OS-9 was a success at what it was
primarily designed to do. It's when we try to use it as a general
purpose OS to run various applications that it's weaknesses are
highlighted and many see it as too hard to use in comparison to other OS's.

As I've said, "OS-9 is not for me". I've tried it and it doesn't satisfy
MY expectations.

Nick