[Coco] Last video I promise... :)

Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) retrocanada76 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 09:40:53 EST 2014

Ok I made more tests yesterday and two conclusions:

1) I found out what was the major cause of jitter in my code. The PLL was
not properly set and I was ignoring Quartus II warnings. I deleted it,
remade, and run the Time Analysis tools to derive and make the uncertainty
on it. It improved a lot. Also, I change some asynchronous place to make
all of them very synchronous. The result was an even better image, less
oscillation on 80 collumn screen, but still I think I can improve it even
more working on the synchronous part.

2) I managed to make a version without framebuffer and doubling the GIME
rates. The results were no good for me. My monitor as I said struggles to
keep up with GIME timing, although this time the image was way better than
the previous time. The main problem now is the vsync that seems to be
irregular, and the VGA oscillates half pixel up/down. This creates a
flickering effect. Maybe a CRT would be ok, but not my LCD. I need to reset
the counters together GIME but seems the GIME sync doens't happen on a
steady pace for the VGA. The GIME scanlines are double the size of the VGA
lines, any small variation is doubled on the VGA output.

Other inherent problem with this approach is the character shrinking
effect. I'm displaying now 909 pixels where it was supposed to be 800 in
the same window time. This makes some pixels to shrink and some columns are
shrink and I don't like this. However you end up having borders in both
sides.

Luis Felipe Antoniosi