[Coco] Help retrieving Coco disk images

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Wed Nov 12 17:37:52 EST 2014

On Wednesday 12 November 2014 17:21:21 John Goerzen did opine
And Gene did reply:
> How do I do that?
>
> Thanks Art,
>
> John

Is there a black and white stripped pattern sticker on the bottom of the
spindle pulley?  If so, hold it under a florescent light and see if the
running, now fuzzy pattern is turning one way or the other. Do this with a
disk loaded and the lock lever closed so it has the normal disk drag load
on it.

> On 11/12/2014 04:19 PM, Arthur Flexser wrote:
> > Maybe worth checking the drive speed before buying a new drive?
> >
> > Art
> >
> > On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 12:43 PM, John Goerzen
> > <jgoerzen at complete.org>
> >
> > wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I was a Coco II (Disk Extended BASIC) user way back when.  I am
> >> currently trying to preserve what data I had on those disks.
> >>
> >> To do so, I have assembled a DOS machine out of old parts, including
> >> a real 1.2MB FDD that works.  I have the COCO2EMU with its
> >> RETRIEVE.EXE. I also have version 1.3 of RETRIEVE.EXE.
> >>
> >> Both of them have only been able to read a single disk without
> >> errors: a factory Tandy disk labeled "One-on-One".  I have no
> >> memory of what that is.
> >>
> >> On all my other disks, it generates a read error for sector 1 of
> >> every track.  That is, if I ignore the error, it will read the rest
> >> of that track's sectors but generate an error on sector 1 of the
> >> next track. (Or perhaps it is ignoring the entire track and doing
> >> nothing at all...)
> >>
> >> Any ideas of what I might try here?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> John