[Coco] CocoSDC Woes - MEMTEST.BIN Inop

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Tue Nov 11 18:17:05 EST 2014

On Tuesday 11 November 2014 17:36:06 Kip Koon did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Hi Guys!
>
> I got my CocoSDC Fully Functional I think.  I can attach dsk images to
> drive 0 & 1, Memtest.bin will not function though.  The Coco 3 Locks
> up.  Any Ideas?  Other programs will.  I also can't boot VHD files yet
> either.  Got to study that some more I guess.  Take care my friends.

I started to put mine together today and ran into more prolems than I had
sticks to shake at them with, none of which are the SDC kits fault.

I got all setup, stuck all the parts in, and turned on my fawncy $140
soldering station I bought from Amazon back in June 2012, to be greeted by
a temp display for the iron temp, regardless of which way I turned the
knob, of about 7C, about 18C below the ambient in my basement.  Needs
calibration obviously.  No no heat and no power coming out of it to heat
it. Checked everything in the hand piece, all good, as was the cable.

Opened up the main box, power transformer was hot, but not hot enough to
worry.  Then following the wiring, found that puppy was powered at anytime
it was plugged in!  Which it had been for a couple months or more.  There
will, when I put the covers back on, be a genuine power switch that shuts
it ALL off.  I guess they did that because it has a timer/temp shutdown
for the hot air rework wand as it runs the air compressor until the temp
is down to about 50C

Obviously its not going to solder anything today, so I went digging in my
midden heap and came up with one of Wellers Original WTC irons that I
bought new in the spring of '61 after Annie and I had fell in love with
the Black Hills and decided to stay after I was done making one of the 9
Titan ones wrapped around EAFB work up to the point the fire could have
been lit and about 30 minutes later Moscow would have been paved over in
radioactive glass.  Fortunately we never had to push the last 2 buttons
that would have done that.

This iron likely has north of 20,000 hours hot time on it, has used up
probably 50 of its replaceable tips, looks like heck as even the Silicon
covered hand piece wires jacket has hardened, broken and fallen off in the
ensuing 53 years, but it is  still on its original heater & despite being
wrapped in duct tape to hold it together, fired right up and I soldered
everything but the SD cards socket, that I lifted and put a small dab of
Locktite GO-2 glue under it, (Used to be sold as Shoe Goo to fix up your
worn out tennies) & put it back in a gentle vice squeeze so it will be
well glued to the pcb by tomorrow.

My slightly shaky hands didn't turn out to be a problem either. :)

And I've sent an email to the guy who sold the newer iron, an X-Tronic
4040 to me via amazon, asking for a schematic, which will make finding the
failed semi device a lot easier.

Thats my story so far, and I'm sticking to it!

> Kip Koon
>
>  <mailto:computerdoc at sc.rr.com> computerdoc at sc.rr.com
>
>  <http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon>
> http://www.cocopedia.com/wiki/index.php/Kip_Koon