[Coco] DriveWire 4 seg fault under Linux Mint...

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 10:48:54 EST 2014

I agree with Aaron, I use the "vport sniffer" version in my software developement and it has TONS of bugs..... but is still the one most useful thing that has been added to dw4... when it works LOL
For instance, In developing MShell, which will read (and write) files to the PC server. Having only Windows, I've been building the routines to work with Windows file systems from the Coco. I was just about to release it when I decided to try it on Linux to make sure it read the file system correctly... It was a big "NO GO".
The really strange thing is that it actually reads the Linux file directory, saves it to a temp file on the Coco, closes dw4 port, closes the temp file, then crashes hard. The sniffer shows all data was sent and received by dw4, my temp file on the vhd shows the Coco received and saved the dir list. But it crashes? It ONLY does this under Linux. In Windows, I can transfer files from PC to Coco and Coco to PC all day with no crash.
What I want to know, is how Linux/DW4 is crashing my Coco after all communication has ended?
I'm still going through things to see if there's a bug, but I would think it would've shown in Windows transfers as well. It seems to be a Linux thing.
The sniffer has been priceless in tracing down transfer problems and I couldn't live without it. I'm going to try a couple of older versions of dw4 in Linux to see if it makes a difference. I have currently tried 4.3.4e & 4.3.3p. This is only a problem when I try to read a Linux directory.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com