[Coco] DriveWire 4 under Linux: How to add device?

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 08:46:43 EST 2014

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM, Aaron Wolfe wrote:
> Yes, this is often a permissions thing.  How those work varies from distro
> to distro.  A good test is to try running DW as root or sudo once, if it
> suddenly works then you know its a permissions problem somewhere.

That would be a quick and definitely dirty test but not a good one.
The files created by DriveWire4 when running as root will linger
around and cause new, interesting issues when later you run it as a
normal user. Which you should...

So if you do run it as root, better nuke the DriveWire4 folder
afterwards and start from scratch again.

And why you shouldn't run DriveWire4 as root? It gives for example
access to your whole computer file system from the CoCo or over TCP if
running Becker... Not that there is much malware on a CoCo, but bugs
in software might cause damage.

Tormod