[Coco] coco2 MC6883/6847 memory map

Brett Gordon beretta42 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 08:39:08 EST 2014

Hey Didier,

The coco2's video processor is logically separate from the memory
mapping.  When basic starts up it is in Page 0 mode... where the
bottom (lowest address) 32k is routed to ram, and the top 32k is
routed to the ROM (BASIC).  If you switch to page 1 the lower half of
RAM remains the same, but the upper 32k of address space is routed to
additional RAM (if it exists).  Video takes it's memory from anywhere
in the logical map, but BASIC setups this up at address 0x400, in
lower address space.  I found the use of the word "PAGE" for the
memory in the docs to be a misnomer.   And switch from Page 0 to Page
1 doesn't do anything to Video... it still takes its memory from the
LOGICAL address space.  Just the Top 32k of the logical map is
switched out.

-B