[Coco] Question regarding OS-9 Default Drive (/DD)

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Sat Nov 8 21:24:15 EST 2014

On Saturday 08 November 2014 20:54:40 Nick Marentes did opine
And Gene did reply:
> I am wondering how OS-9 handles the default drive.
>
> I always thought that the idea behind OS-9 is that regardless of your
> OS-9 hardware, the driver maps the hardware to a software "translator"
> (my terms because I don't know the official terms yet). This is the
> default drive (/dd)?
>
> That way, whether you have a 40trk, 80trk, drivewire, SDC etc drive,
> the application program doesn't care because it talks to this
> "software/device translator".
>
> So, what has me wondering is why, when I look at the NitrOS-9 software
> website (http://nitros9.sourceforge.net/latest/) there are so many
> files and many are just duplicates but configured for there respective
>
> Seems messy, confusing and goes against what I thought was how OS-9
> works.
>
> I would have thought that once one configures an NitrOS-9 to suit their
> setup, the single version of the application disk/s is all that is
> needed.
>
> Does this mean that when a new program is added, a version of the same
> application needs to be created for each device?

No, as long as you have a dd, aka a default drive, the program should run
from it just fine.  The concept of dd which is the real system 'master'
drive but renamed, was invented decades ago precisely to put a stop to
folks assuming the user had both a /d0 and a /d1 drive and hard coding the
programs accordingly.

/dd can point at, and be a duplicate of any of those drive descriptors,
just renamed internally to /dd so _all_ the programs can find it.

> Seems wrong and but I'm sure there is something I'm not understanding
> here.

Maybe this helps?  I hope so.

> Nick

Cheers, Gene Heskett