[Coco] 15kHz LCD monitors for the Coco

farna at amc-mag.com farna at amc-mag.com
Sat Nov 8 09:55:36 EST 2014

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 2014 22:31:59 -0800
From: Kandur <k at qdv.pw>

Would these monitors make a good display for the Coco?
Screen Size: 7 inch $40
Display Component: Color TFT-LCD
Number of Dots: 480W * RGB * 234H
Video Frequency: PAL/NTSC7"
http://tinyurl.com/pb8elxb

9 inch LCD display $52
Specifications:
Screen: 9-inch 16:9 TFT LCD
Resolution: 800*480 Pixels
System: PAL/ NTSC (video)
http://tinyurl.com/ptwg5uh

They say PAL/NTSC, but appear to only have an S-video input. eBay item
number: 271520428413 appears to have composite input as well as VGA. Never
used it, don't know how it works, but it says "reversing priority
function", so it seems to have some composite converting circuitry built
in.

Note that any screen with composite inputs isn't going to work well with
an 80 column screen. 40, and maybe the 64 character mode in monochrome.

I found 64 character width to be very useable on an old B&W TV or
monochrome composite monitor. Color not so good. I did a lot of word
processing with Telewriter 64 (think I have the name right...) and a B&W
TV on a CoCo2 (and later the updated version on a CoCo3). I printed at 64
characters too, so I essentially had a WYSIWYG word processor on the
CC2...