[Coco] CoCo and Multitasking

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Fri Nov 7 08:53:23 EST 2014

Tom, I think OS9 Level 2 for the Coco 3 came out in '87(?). The Coco 3 itself (and the Tandy 1000EX) was announced on July 30th 1986 at a Tandy press conferrence at the Waldorf Historia in New York, and was on the RS shelves by early September 86. OS9 L2 was "announced" at the Coco 3 press conference, but it was a while after the Coco 3 was out before it was actually released. The Coco 3 didn't appear in the catalogs until the 87 issue, but did appear in the 86 Christmas sale papers.
The Develepor's System disk was even later as was Multi-Vue. I could scan through some old Rainbows and RS catalogs and get actual dates if needed.
As a side note, OS9 Level 2 itself was already out before the Coco 3 , but for other machines. Not sure how much "actual" multi-tasking could be done. If I remember right, OSk was already out too.
Level 1 would "sort of" multi-Task as you could run a (very) small program in the background while you were doing something else... if both programs would fit in 64k (along with the system) as long as one didn't need user input or screen space.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com