[Coco] OS-9 is not for me

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Thu Nov 6 17:43:33 EST 2014

On 7/11/2014 8:31 AM, Bill Pierce via Coco wrote:
> Nick, I hate to see you give up, but I will admit that OS9 is not for everyone. The thing that gets me the most is that you, being a software developer, cannot grasp OS9's system concepts. To add to Bob's analogy.. How many hours did you spend figuring out the "side scrolling" modes of the GIME for "Pop Star Pilot"? How many documents did you examine to learn the modes?
> Every book ever published on OS9 and it's use is available in the archives and between them, covering "almost" every aspect of OS9.

The point is, I had a job to do (split screen hardware scrolling) and I
just needed to work out how to make the GIME do it.

I didn't have to spend hours frustrating over why RS-DOS wouldn't work
or why my Assembler wouldn't work or why the system  keeps crashing. I
could get on with the goal of what I wanted to achieve. That's fun.

Fixing the OS and tools is not fun.

It was like wanting to build the house but having to spend a lot of time
repairing all my tools first.

It was not the dev environment I want.

Nick