[Coco] Original Iron Forest...plus other Diecom games? - was: In need of a 1987 GIME

Andrew keeper63 at cox.net
Sat Nov 1 16:01:05 EDT 2014

All,

Splitting this thread now; after following the old thread, I started
thinking...

There apparently are cracked copies of Iron Forest, and it seems some
(how many? a couple?) people have original and working copies. There's a
question of being able to get an original copy of this game...

Someone who owns this original game needs to copy it and put it in an
archive somewhere so those interested (ahem - myself, but I bet others
would be too) can download it.

This wouldn't be piracy. Back in ~2004 (damn, has it really been 10
years?), myself and a few other guys (step forward, guys - if you want -
you know who you are) worked to "restore" a working copy of Diecom's
Gates of Delerium, while removing the copy protection. We were
successful in this, and in the process built up an "archive" of stuff
for the game. It's floating around out there, I'm sure.

Anyhow, in the process, we got in contact with Dave Dies (who I believe
I remember has since passed away?); the email "authorizing the release
and distribution of all Diecom Products software to the Color Computer
and CoCo emulation community" was included in the archive.

I can dig it out if wanted - but the short of it is that we should be
able to copy and distribute Iron Forest. Granted, the hardware that went
along with it isn't available, but IIRC someone in the community managed
to create an interface for the Sega Light Gun (or the NES Light Gun) and
published it as well (I am pretty certain I have a copy of this
schematic somewhere too).

This is just the tip of the iceberg, though - so to speak. We as a
community need to find and preserve the entire Diecom library, and make
it available for download for everyone. So - can we do this? I can
devote some time to the task myself (I'll have to dig out my CoCo stuff
again, but that's no big deal and I've been meaning to do it for a
while) - I'm willing to try anything; I have a couple CoCo 3 systems,
plus a CoCo 2 system - also a DOS "emulator box" with a 5.25 drive in
it. I can also get MESS going on my Linux system if needed.

I can help with any software or testing needs; I've never done any
low-level cracking or other RE, so I won't be much help there - but I do
have a long background in software development, and I have coded in
assembler in the past (including a bit of 6809) - so that doesn't scare
me. Hardware doesn't pose problems for me either (I know my way around a
soldering iron and oscilloscope).

First steps should likely be identifying and creating a list of all the
Diecom software catalog, then identifying and collecting any and all
(actual, cracked, etc) copies of the software titles that exist in
whatever archives we each own or have access to. Maybe we can set up a
public dropbox or something to keep things in as we organize things.
Ultimately, we should be able to identify what is missing, and see if we
can locate it, or put out a plea for it (?) - or at the least, document
that it doesn't exist to our knowledge.

I think this could be an exciting and useful project. So is anyone
interested?

--
Andrew L. Ayers
Glendale, Arizona