[Coco] KIDS REACT TO OLD COMPUTERS

Nick Marentes nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Sat May 31 16:38:36 EDT 2014

On 1/06/2014 6:32 AM, Richard E Crislip wrote
> My two cents, I am currently teaching an intro to computer science
> class. As Nick is saying, most computers today are still using some
> version of the Von Neumann algorithm. Even the ones with
> multiprocessors. Love showing a text Ohio Edison gave me to learn when
> I began working for them. It displayed the same "Storage, ALU,
> Controller" diagram the text in use today uses. That old text book was
> published by IBM in the late 60s. 8-)

I remember in the 80's being interested in the transputer design from
Inmos (I think). This seemed to me to be the way of the future with
computers. I thought that this was a true multiprocessing system unlike
what we're seeing today in multi-core systems.

This seemed like a different direction for processor systems but
unfortunately, the WinTel juggernaught pretty well wiped everything out
in it's plans for world domination.   :)

Nick