[Coco] KIDS REACT TO OLD COMPUTERS

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Thu May 29 22:14:01 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 9:57 PM, Salvador Garcia
<ssalvadorgarcia at netscape.net> wrote:

> Here is a perfect example using Windows: In a given folder having say 200 files of various types, how do you select only the .txt to copy them elsewhere?

just type:

ext:txt

in the little box with the magnifying glass, upper right of any file
explorer window in recent windows (definitely 7+, maybe vista and xp?)

you can actually do some pretty impressive things with that little
box.. some of which would require quite the pipeline of tools with
fancy arguments to equal in *nix.  size: and kind: are handy ones to
know.  logical operators, ranges.. its a fancypants little box that
far too many people ignore.

full details:  http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965711(v=vs.85).aspx

(sorry to be a PITA, but I find a lot of *nix users don't realize how
far windows has come in recent times.  not that I have anything
against *nix, it's been a fond friend of mine sine long before I ever
touched a windoze box)