[Coco] VCC Experience

Gene Heskett gheskett at wdtv.com
Mon May 26 00:45:13 EDT 2014

On Sunday 25 May 2014 22:02:28 Bill Nobel did opine
And Gene did reply:
> Oh I do have both, just can’t remember which is the better for vt100.
>
> BillNobel

If you want a slightly later, 8 bit rendition of vt100, there is a vt220
on my web page.  It uses some of the upper half of the ascii mapping to
handle the escape codes, or it will respond in kind to the normal esc
whatever codes transparently.  AND IIRC the last mods I made to it were
add the rz/sz trigger and responses, so it now handles rz and sz file
moves transparently.

It got modified by me so I could emulate a failed DEC VT-220 when I found
DEC no longer had any VT-220's to replace the one that smoked its HOT (
and no HOT's were available as service parts either) after less than 7
years of service, and the only thing they had at the time was the VT-550,
priced at $3900 dollars, and no one at DEC could tell me if it was
compatible to the VT-220.  And it was a non-returnable sale even if it
didn't work.  Hello! I wasn't about to gamble $3900 on a pig in a poke.

Just one of the reasons DEC went belly up.  We had service contracts on
the PDP-11/723A, but their field service techs changed everything in it
but the frame rail carrying the serial number without any noticeable
effect on its 20x a day crashing.  Eventually Hugo swapped his test mule
out for mine, which worked well, but then the NYC field techs had no
better luck fixing it, so CBS had to design and provision all their
affiliate stations with a whole new kit, cost about 7 grand a station.

Anyway, this VT-220, running on my office coco3, handled the switching
schedule and movements of the dish itself on cue, keeping the schedule up
to date in the PDP's drive.  Worked great when it wasn't crashed.

Brian Marquette wrote some pretty solid code when he did the VT-100,
patching it to do the 220 too was a piece of cake.