[Coco] OS-9 price

Tormod Volden lists.tormod at gmail.com
Sun May 18 12:12:31 EDT 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 12:01 AM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> You can browse the site, and download various versions of it, to match
> your hardware, in the form of .dsk files.
>
> These .dsk files can then be written to a floppy, on linux systems with
> the use of dd, but format the disk on the coco first.  Some modern floppy
> chips do NOT support a 256 byte sector anymore, I have one of those
> myself.  In that event, I am in a chicken vs egg situation and if I didn't
> already had OS9 from day 1, I would be looking for some sort of a skyhook
> to get that first bootstrap.  If your "PC" can't do the 256 byte sectors
> without upchucking all over the front lawn, then I suspect someone is
> going to have to mail you the first "get started" floppy, or 2 maybe, one
> to boot it initially, and a second one with the goodies to make a new boot
> disk that fits your hardware better.

You can also start with DriveWire and you would not have a chicken and
an egg problem. You can boot NitrOS-9 over DriveWire using DWDOS (from
cassette or RSDOS floppy) or HDBDOS. Then from the running NitrOS-9
system format the real floppies and copy stuff over.

But, yes, it takes a little more understanding and the cable.

> Once you get going, drivewire can mount those files, even from out on the
> network, and use them as if they were local disks!  But you won't do that
> the first day as its initial setup takes some understanding.  You will
> also need java's jre on the PC, and a special cable that Cloud9tech sells.

Tormod