[Coco] New COCO 2 - moving .CAS files over to real hardware

Robert Gault robert.gault at att.net
Sun May 18 11:20:22 EDT 2014

devin davison wrote:
> Alright, Ill describe what im doing from start to Finish, maybe someone can
> catch me doing something wrong.
>
> I grabbed a small game, Nuclear reactor simulator, from here -
> http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
>
> I used the command "cocotape Nuke.zip -o Nuke.wav" , which results in a wav
> file, which i then can load without problems.
> when i type run, It tells me there is a error in line 27049.
>
> I ran the command list, there was quite a bit of output.
> I ran "list 27049"
> Here is an image of the output. Some of the characters seem inverted in
> color, not user if that is normal.
>
> http://s20.postimg.org/l9449q2el/P1030635.jpg
>
> Ive tried a this process with a couple of other small games from the color
> computer arcive, with similar results.
> Not sure what to do from here. Thank you for the help so far.

There a number of things that seem wrong. I am assuming that your cocotape.exe
program was written by Roger Taylor. If that is not correct, post a source for
your cocotape.exe.

1) You can't convert a .zip file. You must unzip it to the .cas file.
2) Roger Taylor's Cocotape does not work with .cas files but rather Basic or ml
files copied from a disk. At least that is what the help message implies.
3) I could successfully load the .cas file into MESS so the .cas file in the
.zip is good.
4) I was able to convert the .cas file to a .wav file using MESS emulation of a
Coco3. The .cas file was mounted, CLOAD, create a .wav file, CSAVE"NUKESIM".
The resulting .wav file would load into MESS and sounds right when played as a
.wav file. It is 7.42M raw and 132K as a zip file.

I'll send the new zip file to you directly.

Robert