[Coco] Drivewire and Ubuntu

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Fri May 16 18:53:40 EDT 2014

i will check rxtx. i have added my user to dialout group. it will work fron my user but it will display the crash window. if i ignore it i can use it normally

On May 16, 2014, at 6:44 PM, CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts <coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

On May 16, 2014 6:12 PM, "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <
coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> i have problem too. it crashes on me on ubuntu 14.04 64-bit. i dont even
see the gui. this from a fresh installed version.

Start it from a shell, I don't know what the GUI is doing differently than
just running the jar like most GUIs do, probably some kind of security
feature to protect you.  shell works normally though.

> i have an copy of the previous note, last version it only works with
sudo. running normally it gives me a null reference pointer . although it
keeps running if i dont click to close the error dialog still is annoying
to have it.

> i tried changing default-jre to oracle java 7 and 8 with no avail.

Its not a problem with the java version, its something in the Ubuntu GUI
that doesnt like something DW does.  I don't think theres is anything
simple that will change it but shell is a functional workaround.

DW doesn't need sudo itself, but in some Linux systems there are permission
issues with rxtx (a library DW uses) and/or the serial devices.  You can
probably just give your user account the right magic permissions if you can
figure out what they are on and avoid needing sudo.  If you Google search
for rxtx + your flavor of Linux + permission problems, you'll probably find
people who have solved it, as rxtx is used by much more popular programs
than DriveWire.

Ubuntu is one of the systems I test the nice double click and go
instructions on when I do a release, but I think they were back on 11 or 12
when I did the last DW.  Things have changed...

-Aaron