[Coco] The Beta Test release of MShell

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Tue May 13 22:59:55 EDT 2014

Bill, the Becker port was started when Gary Becker needed a port to DW from his CocoFPGA project. It's just 2 port addresses that are routed to TCP sockets to talk to DW4. Aaron then made DW4 to accept dw data through TCP and then did a patch to Vcc so it would use TCP for DW4 as well so you can access VHDs, DSKs, DW4 Midi Synth, Telnet, virtual printers, virtual modems, remote terminals etc.
The original DriveWire3 would not do all of this. DriveWire4 is a completely different beast. The real cool thing... it's all available to the Coco as well. I know the explanation isn't "exactly" right, but you'll get the drift.

With DriveWire4, I have a Coco 3, a Coco 2, 2 instances of Vcc Coco 3 and 1 instance of XRoar Coco 2 all connected to the DW4 server and sharing drives. If I ever get my serial router, I'm going to really get it set up even better.

This is one of the reasons I started writing MShell... to manage it all from one location. Once the PC File Manager is done, then there's no end to the various file manipulation that can be done. I already have RSDOS and OS9 under my thumb, and a jump start on the PC reads from my DW4Man code which would mount VHDs and DSKs into the DriveWire4 server from the Coco. I didn't have to touch the DW4 GUI on the PC, I'd just browse the PC dirs from the Coco for a vhd and the Coco would tell it to mount them. The GUI was a lot like MShell but in 80 col HW text mode so there was no mouse control. I had a lot of requests for mouse control so I started MShell.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com