[Coco] RS232 Schematics, was DriveWire survey

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Mon May 12 02:21:47 EDT 2014

I wonder if there is a way to add a real serial port by tapping the
needed signals off a PIA internal to the CoCo?

The CoCo  (and Drivewire) would be nice with a internal real hardware
serial port.

Having said that, I'm quite happy with my drivewire connection as it
is (bit banger port). Aaron and Boisy have done a marvelous job in
implementing Drivewire on an unmodified CoCo3. Drivewire file access
is faster than what I had with my real floppy drive and more reliable.
I now run both SD card with emulated floppy controller and drivewire
using Darren's SDC controller and I'm as happy as a pig in sh at t.

As for ideas as to what new features to add to drivewire?

Not sure I personally need anything. It does the job it was intended
to do. One may look at the drivewire equivalent on the Atari 800 to
see if we can get any ideas.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/aspeqt/

Nick