[Coco] Help with The Magic of Zanth for CoCo 3

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Sun May 11 14:10:54 EDT 2014

Anyone play this 1987 CoCo 3 game from Computerware, The Magic of Zanth,
before? I like to think I know my way around a game or two, but the scant
instructions with this text and graphics adventure and my lack of
familiarity with Anthony's world of Xanth that this is based on seems to
have doomed me to failure right at the start. I used all of the commands
mentioned in the manual, including "run" and "talk," and I can't seem to
get away from the dragon after taking my step in one of the cardinal
directions after the start of the game.

While this is an original version of the game, I'm concerned that somehow
this might have flagged itself as a pirate copy and therefore puts the game
in an unwinnable state (this technique was used on other platforms on
occasion) on purpose. I have no idea though if I'm missing some obscure
command not mentioned in the manual or need to know some obscure reference
from reading the Xanth books.

I put up a very short video of the game in action yesterday (
http://billloguidice.tumblr.com/post/85376731768/super-quick-video-of-the-rare-the-magic-of-zanth)
showing the nifty speech synthesis when using the Speech & Sound Pak. It
also detects whether or not you have a 512K system and appears to load the
whole game in memory (at least from as far as I've gotten). In other words,
cool stuff, but not cool if I can't get past the first few steps.

Thanks.

-Bill

Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and