[Coco] DriveWire survey

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Sun May 11 02:49:34 EDT 2014

On May 11, 2014 2:29 AM, "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts" <
coco at maltedmedia.com> wrote:

> On 5/11/2014 1:01 AM, CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts wrote:
>>
>> Yep, all of that is done.. Gui and server are already separate and talk
>> each other via IP, server happily accepts or initiates TCP connections in
>> place of the serial link, etc.  I've wanted to do something like you
>> suggest forever, but I'm limited to the software side, so its all there
>> just waiting :). Basically all of DriveWire is designed in hopes it can
be
>> replaced by something better without breaking the things that are built
on
>> top of it.
>
> OK, let me perfboard something up.  Is the DW serial protocol anything
special, or can I just connect to a port and pass data from the IP to the
serial and vice versa?

Its 8n1, bit rate tied to coco model, for a coco 3 thats 115.2kbps.  Match
that and it should Just Work.  I have used the aux serial port on a cisco
router and a digi term server, both work fine over IP, and Bluetooth serial
adapters mostly work, so I don't think its very special or sensitive.

Feel free to email me directly, aaron at aaronwolfe.com, if I can help I
will.  For hardware questions you'll find better answers here on the list
though.