[Coco] Using the Tandy Color Computer 3 with an RGB monitor

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Sat May 10 20:53:36 EDT 2014

And on the subject of RGB...

Can someone explain to me why the GIME color palette had to be different
to the RGB?

Here in Australia, the PAL CoCo3 derives it's composite video off the
RGB output of the GIME using a seperate daughter board underneath the
mainboard.

But I don't understand why the GIME's built-in NTSC composite had to
have a different palette system.

Couldn't they have derived it from the RGB internally in the GIME so as
to keep the palette the same?

The only story I heard (if true) is that the GIME originally was
designed for composite and RGB was added later.

Nick