[Coco] DriveWire survey

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Sat May 10 17:50:11 EDT 2014

Hi Aaron,

I just joined the CoCo list last week. I used a CoCo I back in the early 80s and have not had any CoCo time since then. In 1984 I moved abroad and took my CoCo with me, but did not bring it back with me. I subscribed to Color Computer Magazine and when that went under my subscription transferred to Rainbow. I stuck with Rainbow till its last issue and then proceeded to support Dennis Kitz by subscribing to UnderColor and stuck with him until the last UnderColor shipped. The CoCo that I have (in a far away land) is a model I, 64K with a floppy drive. I have OS/9 level I, but did not get a chance to use it much.

I have heard of DriveWire for about 3 years now which is the time that I have been friends with the people of the GCCC here in the Chicago area. I hope to get a CoCo 3 emulator and use DriveWire with it, but at this time I am only beginning to do research to understand how to go about this. I am impressed with what I have seen regarding DriveWire, including Richard Crislip's demo at the latest "Last" CoCoFEST! I hope to delve deeper into DriveWire in the near future.

>From the research that I've done so far, and this is not much, basically browsing the DriveWire Website, it seems that a limiting factor is the serial cable that needs to connect the CoCo with the server computer. It would be nice if the great Ethernet infrastructure could be used for this. If this is possible then just chalk up an "oops" for me. :-) Since I plan to do everything via emulation I don't think this might be an issue for me, but it is something that crossed my mind.

Since this is my first post, I would like to use it as an introduction. I reside in the Chicago area and am a member of the Glenside Color Computer Club, albeit my participation is minimal. I am a tinkerer and technology interests me. I have special respect for past technology because I understand that thanks to generations past we now have what we have today.

 I opened the survey, but decided not to take it since it assumes familiarity with DriveWire, in addition to certain experience which I do not have.

Best wishes Salvador