[Coco] 26-3022 Disk Drive and controller

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Fri May 9 21:02:19 EDT 2014

----- Original Message -----

From: "CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts"

> And Gene did reply:
>> Greetings all.
>>
>> I also recently bought a Coco2, and understand this
>> disk drive/controller will will only work with my system using at
>> least a multi-pak - which I also purchased.  Should I locate
>> a FD-501 or 502 controller?

> On the CoCo2, which does have a 12 volt pin on the expansion port, I think
> that controller will run with or without the MPI.

Sorry Gene, they left out the 12 volt supply on the CoCo 2.

Yes a later disk controller might be a little more reliable.  26-3029,
FD-500, FD-501 & FD-502 are all 5 volt units and work as is with the CoCo 2
& 3.

There is a major hack for the 26-3022 controller to use quad-density drives.
Although 15 years ago I could not find the parts, let alone a 26-3022
controller.

Bruce W. Calkins

brucewcalkins at charter.net