[Coco] Nitros9 v3.3.0

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Thu May 8 23:57:20 EDT 2014

On Thursday 08 May 2014 23:22:26 CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts
did opine
And Gene did reply:

>   Ok new question for Nitros9 under Mess.  I have v3.3.0 of Nitros9
> 6309.  I have a problem writing the boot track for it.  OS9Boot file
> is fully 3.3.0, but when I use the new REL, BOOT & KRN I lose the boot
> load.  REL keeps showing “.” forever.

There are several versions of the boot module, each for the specific disk
controller.  There are also several versions of REL, each expecting a
different Term format.  Things can easily go all aglay if they are miss-
matched.  For instance, for the TC^3 controller, there are 3 bytes
immediately in front of the modules crc that need to be fixed to match the
address of the controller since it has at least 2, and the MPI slot it
lives in, see the docs for scsidesc.asm which may shed some illumination
on that.  Other controllers that I don't have, may have similar
idiosynchrocy's but I'm not an expert on them.

>   Is it my Mess emulator (which is messmenu under mac), or did
> something change in BOOT from previous version?

That boot may be yet another variation.  I have a b09 utility on my web
site, "KRNL2DIR" that will make a root directory entry pointing at the
kernel track.  Satisfies dcheck too.

Once that is done, my "vfy", also on my web page, can split the track up
into its individual modules PLUS the RSBASIC header, and the trailing list
of IRQ vectors, making 5 files it will make, using the -sk syntax.  From
those boot and rel modules, you can then edit the MB script to use those,
and that should get you a working boot.

Good luck, and I hope I've been helpful.