[Coco] Clock Chips

CoCoList for Color Computer Enthusiasts coco at maltedmedia.com
Wed May 7 11:39:43 EDT 2014

On Wed, May 7 2014, Brian Goers wrote:

 What clock chip is easiest to add to the Color Computer 3?

> Don't know what is easiest, but the Dallas DS1216 SmartWatch can be
> installed in a disk controller or RS232 pak without much effort. You just
> need minor rewiring to adapt the 28 pin unit to the 24 pin sockets used by
> the Coco.
> In a disk controller, the Disk ROM plugs into the Dallas socket. The
> thickness can prevent the cover from going back on. Since I don't use the
> RS-232 ROM, I have the clock in the RS-232 PAK, have left out the RS-232
> ROM, and the cover will reattach.
>
> The Dallas plugs into the Coco socket so that pins 1,2,27, and 28 overhang
> the socket and a wire connects pins 26 to 28.

I did the DS1216 on my FD-502 controller back in the mid 90s by removing
the 28 pin ROM's socket then soldering the clock chip socket in its place,
Disk ROM goes on top of the clock - this way the controller case can
properly close otherwise the sockets sandwich can make things difficult.

Recently bought two DS1216s as spares from Jameco, my original clock is
still running in the CoCo 3 setup and I've been expecting its battery to
die since a decade ago or so... thing refuses to let go :-)

-- RP