[Coco] No easy rename on OS-9 ?

Mike Hughes michae9593 at aol.com
Mon Mar 31 19:24:15 EDT 2014

The programmers of Unix were rather bad typists, it would appear.  That's why we have so many abbreviated commands such as CP, LS, MV, CAT, etc., etc. etc.  They were also very big on devising multiple ways of doing the same thing.  Unfortunately, they were also big on making one "command" do multiple tricks by burdening the commands with multiple switches and modifiers such that every command needed a rather large "man" page to identify all that could be accomplished by deft used of such "modifiers".  As computers grew in their complexity, the "commands" grew in the number of switches tacked on to them.  Mastery of this repertoire is what gave the UNIX user the coveted title of GURU.  The first versions of Linux were somewhat limited in their memory capacity, so that they could NOT support these bloated commands with dozens of switches, so their "versions" were somewhat similar to the original versions of these UNIX commands.  How "fortunate" of you to have a version of UNIX that had enough memory to support all the hair involved with the extra burden of all those switches.  OS9 on the Coco was also limited, especially compared to the UNIX variants that were obtainable at the time, so their versions of these commands were somewhat limited as the early versions of Linux were.  Even so, it was possible to discover multiple ways of doing the same thing, thus adding another layer of similarity to UNIX.  The original idea behind CP vs. MV was preserved in the Coco version of OS9.  The version of OS9 that now exists, even for the Coco enhanced with 128K, 512K or 1M or more has the ability to rewrite some of these command to appear more like the "advanced" UNIXs that some are fondly familiar with.  It is a debatable as to whether this is a good thing or not.