[Coco] CP/M OS-9 is back

Joel Ewy jcewy at swbell.net
Fri Mar 28 23:09:12 EDT 2014

On 03/26/2014 08:03 AM, Luis Antoniosi (CoCoDemus) wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I got some time improving mt CP/M emulator as you can see in the video:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiwmUnLTcjY&feature=youtu.be
>
> It's emulating Microsoft Basic. Couldn't test it extensively but it
> seems to be working fine.

Hey Louis,

This is cool stuff.  I thought I'd try it out on my CoCo3FPGA and see
how fast the emulation is at a nominal 25MHz.  The speed looks great --
I was going to shoot a comparison video showing how well CoCo3FPGA runs
CP/M, but I think I may have run into a bug.

When I try to replicate your program in MS-BASIC, I type the first line
just as you do in your video, but when I list the program, line 10 reads:

10 FOR N=0 TO 0

Initially I thought I just mistyped the second value.  But in fact, no
matter what values I use in the FOR loop, it always stores them as '0'.
I don't know whether the problem is with the emulation, the FPGA's
CPU09, or just an unhappy interaction between the two. Performance-wise,
it appears to me that most CP/M programs would be quite comfortably
usable on the CoCo3FPGA, presuming that they worked correctly.  You
should see the WordStar screen load up.

Anybody have any ideas what might be wrong here?  Anybody else with
CoCo3FPGA want to give this a go and confirm my results?

JCE