[Coco] usb thumb drive to floppy emulator

billg999 at cs.uofs.edu billg999 at cs.uofs.edu
Thu Mar 27 11:32:24 EDT 2014

> This looks pretty interesting.  It emulates a floppy drive and stores the
> data on a usb drive.  You make thousands of partitions for each floppy on
> the usb.  Then you select the partition number on the front of the device
> to "load" it into the drive.  It's only $22.  Has anyone ever tried one
> with a coco?
>
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/SFR1M44-U100-USB-Floppy-Drive-Emulator-for-Industrial-Control-Equipment-w-1-44MB-/331159028746?pt=US_Floppy_Zip_Jaz_Drives&hash=item4d1a9dc40a

I would be careful with this.  I have been playing with a couple different
models and have had no luck so far.  I have a simpler GOTEK and that seems
to be a piece of junk.  Best luck so far has been with the IPCAS models.

On the COCO DSKINI runs but does not give you a working image. FREE
returns no free space on the device.  I tried it on a TRS-80 MODEL 4
as well. FORMAT seems to work but all sectors fail to verify.  I
suspect it has something to do with sector size.  But I am not giving
up yet.  :-)

And. this prompts me to ask a question now I was going to ask
eventually anyway.

The controller used in all the Tandy computers supports sector sizes
other than 256.  Why can we not use something like 512?  Does it have
to do with the speed of the machine?

bill