[Coco] Disk controller

Bill Pierce ooogalapasooo at aol.com
Thu Mar 27 11:16:56 EDT 2014

Gene, that was going to be my reply :-P
I spent about 3 days one time trying to figure out why my drive wasn't working. I had moved my system from one room to another and went from a working system to a drive coming on and nothing else happening. I don't remember why I tried flipping the cable, but that what I ended up doing. When that solved te problem, I then marked the top side of the cable on both ends to make sure that didn't happen again.
As a note, most 3.5 drive cables can't be flipped as they have a guide pin, but on a Coco, the initial cable is usually terminated with the (then) standard 5.25 type ends. There's usually an adapter from 5.25 style to 3.5 style at the drive end of the cable. In my setup, it is actually inside the case on the adapter plate. It has a "single drive" cable running from the controller to the drive case. The cable then plugs into a "card edge" on the back of the drive case (3rd party, not Tandy) with 5.25 style connection, then continues via ribbon cable inside with 2x 5.25 style connectors to the adapter plate which also has a 5.25 card edge built in that goes to a very short 3.5 style cable that connects to the drive.
Talk about a hassle to clean all the card edges, 4 in all from the Coco to the drive. 5 if I use a second 3.5 drive.

I also have several "hybrid" cables that have 5.25 style connectors as well as 3.5 style. All my 3.5 drives have drive select jumpers so I can use them in any order I want.

Bill Pierce

http://www.colorcomputerarchive.com/
Co-Contributor, Co-Editor for CocoPedia
E-Mail: ooogalapasooo at aol.com