[Coco] Can Drivewire connect two computers

Aaron Wolfe aawolfe at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 15:36:08 EDT 2014

On Mar 15, 2014 1:49 PM, "Bill Pierce" <ooogalapasooo at aol.com> wrote:

> @Aaron,
> You are saying then if I load a VHD in instance 0 (real Coco3), then load
the same VHD in instance 1 (Vcc 1.4.3b), that if I save a file to that VHD
in instance 0, it will appear in that same VHD in instance 1?

You can do this.  Remember that DW is *sector* based, it doesn't understand
files.  If you allocate sector X to one file in one instance and to another
in the other instance, you're going to have a Bad Time.

The key to happiness is using the Sync From and Sync To settings
appropriately.  Most things are documented here:

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/drivewireserver/index.php?title=Using_DriveWire#Disk_Buffers

One additional point is that Sync From ensures the coco always sees the
most current sector written to the source (regardless of whether that write
was done by drivewire) on every read.

> I was under the impression that each instance loaded it's own copy of the
VHD file into the server's memory and the actual "file" on the server HD
would not be updated until the VHD is ejected or DW4 is shut down.
> If so, then the VHD in instance 1 would not reflect the changes made in
the VHD in instance 0 until either eject or a dw4 shutdown.

That is the default behavior, but there are lots of settings provided to
adjust this for various scenarios.

> Please correct me if I'm wrong as this would save me quite a bit of "VHD
swapping".
> OR, is the UI cmd "ui sync" needed for this to work properly?

Ui sync is something else entirely, it writes an event stream that the UI
uses to reflect the current state of the server.