[Coco] Windows vs. Linux (was 512K upgrade)

nickma2 at optusnet.com.au nickma2 at optusnet.com.au
Wed Mar 12 23:11:10 EDT 2014

Maybe I haven't clarified myself enough...

Yes, OS-9 is a good OS. It's powerful and compared to RS-DOS, isn't a
real OS like OS-9.

But in my area of work (games), I don't want any OS in the way...which
is why RS-DOS is perfect.

I don't use any of the ROM calls. I can write faster tailor made ones
to suit my purpose.

RS-DOS is there immediately on power-up or after a hard reset during
debugging. I find this  useful.

It's proven itself as an easy and fast environment to develop custom
tools in BASIC for the creation of my games.

It does all the things I require for disk management and an ideal
launcher/loader for my M/L code.

I do all of my development work on a real CoCo and find the old school
EDTASM (modified by Robert Gault) to work very well for me. I can be
in an out between editing and executing code and back again in seconds
(on a real 1.89Mhz CoCo).

For me, it's ideal for what I use my CoCo. I have tried to use OS-9
and I simply didn't like it. I do understand the benefits of OS-9.

Don't pass me off as some dumb slag who hasn't tried reading the
manuals I have and I decided it wasn't the environment I enjoyed.
Others do and that's fine.

I've always preferred dealing directly with the hardware rather than a
software layer. That's just me...cut out the middle man and go all
out.

I'm sorry, OS-9 (Nitros OS-9)  slow by comparison for what I need it
to do. I know that OS-9 holds more potential, can multi-task, is more
structured, blah blah blah. But I don't need it to do any of these
things.

I guess I'm just selfish. I just want it to do what  want it to do and
do it quickly.

I have tried to use OS-9 several times and have always gotten bogged
down in details which had me wasting time fixing and customizing the
OS and not going anywhere with the project I originally intended to
do.

Maybe if I had oodles of spare time, I could force myself to be
patient but time I have not and completing the projects I have is
always a challenge.

I hope you understand my point of view. You are a very talented OS-9
user. All I ask is that you see my point-of-view from my
point-of-view.

Nick