[Coco] Buzzing sound in Arkanoid?

Steve 6809er at srbsoftware.com
Wed Mar 12 09:26:15 EDT 2014

Arkanoid is one of the few CoCo 3 games that uses full analog readings
from a joystick port while doing full 6-bit audio.  Since both systems
use the same 6-bit DAC, there is bound to be audio issues.

In most games, the Joystick is treated like a digital input and only
needs one fast read for each axis.  In the case of Arkanoid, the full
analog joystick (aka paddle) requires 6 reads to get the value of 0 to
63 and this takes much longer.

The CoCo has a system of turning off the DAC output to the TV sound.
This is used so you don't hear the DCA while reading Joysticks or saving
data via a cassette recorder.  This sound on/off system is not perfect
because it can make a little "click" sound and this is what you are
hearing.  The longer you turn off the sound as in full analog joystick
read, the stronger the click.

But some Cocos, the click is worst than others.  But what makes a real
difference is the audio system you are using.  Some amps and speakers
system tend to boost the click sound and this is why you may have never
noticed the click sound before.

Switching to another sound system or better yet, adding a notch filter
will fix your audio problem.

Steve Bjork